“Did you drink it?!” or “Did you throw it away?!”
A frightening moment that a mum can pass through. Youngsters under the age of 5 have the maximum risk of accidental poisoning, and this specially happens at home.1
Generally, looking for symptoms such as vomiting, stomach pains, confusion and fainting might all be signs of poisoning. Symptoms might differ depending on the type of poison and the amount ingested.1
First step if you doubt that someone has ingested something poisonous, is to get medical assistance instantly. Until medical support arrives, make sure of doing the following: 1, 2
· Any remains of the poisonous material should be removed from the person’s mouth.
· Don’t try to induce vomiting as it has proven to do more harm than good.
· Turn the person’s head to the side in case they vomit, to avoid choking
In cases of accidental poisoning, it is recommended that you don’t try to treat the poisoned person yourself, you should seek medical help immediately.1
1. Poisoning. NHS. Available at https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/poisoning/ Last accessed1/7/2019
2. Poisoning: First aid. MayoClinic. Available at https://www.mayoclinic.org/first-aid/first-aid-poisoning/basics/art-20056657 Last accessed1/7/2019